Are you in danger from domestic abuse right now?

If you, your child (or children) are in danger right now, don’t hesitate to get emergency help. These calls are free, so it doesn’t matter if you have no phone credit.

Contact the Police

Call 999
Text 999
Textphone 0800 112 999

If you are in immediate danger the police should attend to protect you. An emergency situation is when a crime is actually happening, whether that is violence or threatened violence, or any form of danger to a life.

If it's not safe to talk

You can call 999 from your mobile then dial 55.

Your call will be transferred to the police. They will try to help you using simple yes or no questions. If you are not able to talk. listen to the questions and instructions so the person on your phone can arrange help.

If you call 999 from a housephone / landline and say nothing, your call will be transferred to the police. They will be able to help you, and they will be able to track your location.

Call the 24-hour National Domestic Abuse Helpline

The free National Domestic Abuse Helpline, run by Refuge, is a national service for women experiencing domestic abuse. It also welcomes calls if you are a family member, a friend, colleague or neighbour calling on behalf of someone else.

Call 0808 2000 247

This free 24-hour helpline can give you support, help and information over the telephone, wherever you may be. Fully trained female support workers and volunteers provide an emergency service (not intended to offer general information) and can help you with:

  • Referral to emergency safe accommodation
  • Information about legal, housing or welfare rights and options and referral to relevant services and professions
  • Crisis and safety planning
  • Emotional support and referral to counselling services
  • Face-to-face support in your locality
  • Helpful information, available in different languages

All calls are confidential. Translation facilities and a service for callers who are deaf or hard of hearing are also available.

How to report domestic abuse when it’s not an emergency

If the abuse has stopped, but you want to make sure an incident is officially reported:

Call the police on 101

(Please be aware that there is a charge for these calls)

Visit your local police station in person

Why report domestic abuse after the event?

It’s common for abusers to beg for forgiveness after violent or threatening behaviour, and to promise that it won’t happen again.

If you honestly feel that there is a chance it will happen again, or if this was not the first time, it makes sense to report the incident. There will then be a record, which can be used should you want to take legal action at a future date and the report can also be used in family court proceedings.

Other options to consider

Getting away from the abuser and telling someone else what is happening are the two most important things you can do for your immediate safety.

  • Go to a refuge if you feel unsafe
  • Report the incident to your GP or midwife
  • Tell a trusted friend and ask for their support in taking action
  • Consider applying for a protective court order which will provide you with legal protection from your abuser